Activate, in partnership with visual artists And Now: and National Association of AONBS are seeking to recruit a digital collaborator to design and build a simple but effective interactive interpretation of Wayfaring; an art work that explores the ancient 400-mile Icknield Way, a route stretching from Norfolk to Dorset.
The overall project, called Life Cycles and Landscapes will see lead artists And Now: presenting Wayfaring as a series of site-specific installations and performances in three locations, all in Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, between May and September 2018 and one in Holland at Oerol Festival in June 2018.
Activate are combining the skills of working within the natural landscape brought by AND NOW: and the AONBs with film and image content. And Now: want to collaborate on the conception of the ideas for the website and will develop the content, collaborating with film and photographic artists.
"We want to create a simple website that allows online audiences to experience Wayfaring also as a digital landscape that extends the live project, encouraging audiences to delve into historic and present day meanings of the landscape through an informative and intriguing journey. We want audiences to explore, discover, connect, be surprised and inspired by the landscape and the artists’ interpretations more deeply by offering new perspectives on the work.
We see the online experience predominantly as being a prologue to the live work, creating a rich artistic context for existing audiences but also providing a valuable experience for potentially new audiences who perhaps won’t access the physical events. We are keen to create a legacy piece towards the end of the overall project that would include aspects of the live events. However we see this legacy as pieces of digital artwork in itself rather than just online representations of the physical artworks.
We would like the brand to reflect the aspirations of both the online and offline experience."
Activate are looking for a tech savvy artist (or artful technician!) to work in collaboration with and under the Artistic Direction of And Now: to create the Wayfaring brand and website, support Activate in managing the site, and create and deliver an online audience development plan.
They are looking for:
- A poetic and high-quality platform showing the live and digital artworks of the artists And Now: and their collaborators.
- A structure that allows each visitor to navigate a personal journey, following their personal interest in the project and the places it visits –not a static linear experience.
- A structure that allows the website to grow as the project itself grows and brings people back again and again for new content.
- Clear and concise information about the project, the artists, the partners, the places and the events within it.
- A project brand/image, co-developed with us by you – that can manifest in print as well as online.
- A simple and clean aesthetic.
- A clear and deliverable audience development plan to attract a minimum of 5,000 users. This brief could be extended to include this task if desirable by the digital collaborator and the skills and strategy are presented.
Photo by Lee Campbell on Unsplash