Real to Reel: The Craft Film Festival
Real to Reel: The Craft Film Festival is the first UK festival dedicated to craft and film. The Crafts Council are offering secondary, 6th form and college students under 16 a chance to submit a film for free. If your film is included in the festival, it will be shown at Picturehouse Central in London during our festival in May, then at cinemas nationwide and internationally.
All types of film are encouraged, from documentaries, to story-led films to animation: if your film explores making, skills and materials, in the broadest sense, our selection panel would like to see it. This year we are limiting submissions to short films (up to 30 minutes in length) only but films can be much shorter.
The deadline is Monday 5th February and films submitted can be made any time after January 1st 2016.
How to submit your film:
- Fill in your details, details of your film and the equal opportunities forms using this submission form.
- You will need to upload your film to a hosting service such as Vimeo, YouTube, Wistia, etc for our selection panel to view the film. If your film is password-protected or not available to the public, please share the password or instructions to view the film within the submission form.
- Email this form to Rosie Mitchell at email@example.com with the subject line “Real to Reel Under-16 Application”
Rules and terms
- The Crafts Council accept short films only (under 30 minutes)
- Films must have been made after 1st January 2016
- By submitting this form, you confirm that you have your parent or guardian’s permission to take part in the festival.
- By submitting this form without the application fee, you confirm that you will be aged 16 or under on the 18th of February 2019.
- If your film’s original language is not English, it will only be accepted if submitted with English subtitles
- Your film must be your own work, and you should have obtained copyright or relevant permissions for all images and films used in your piece
- Filmmakers of productions selected for screening will be notified by Friday 8th March 2019 and will be required to submit a ProRes file on an NTFS-formatted USB or hard drive by Friday 15th March 2019. Please send Crafts Council an email if you’d like assistance with this.
- In case of selection, the copyright holder automatically authorises The Crafts Council to screen the film during the London festival and for additional screenings in the UK and internationally to take place before May 2019 free of charge and to use publicity material about the author(s) and/or the film, as well as a clip of the production for promotional purposes through press and the internet. The clip may also be included on the Crafts Council website.
- Selected filmmakers will receive one complimentary ticket for one evening of the festival programme at Picturehouse Central in May 2019.